There are 2 types of vg-10 steel knives.
(1). VG10 Damascus steel blade; VG-10 cutting edge is sandwiched between
layers of different steel.
(2). Full VG10 steel blade.
If you are looking for a good knife, vg-10 damascus steel knife is the
Next, we explain the reason in detail.
- Japanese Kitchen Knife Store - NOKAZE
- About vg-10 damascus steel knife
- Components of vg-10 steel
- Best choice is vg-10 damascus steel
- Why VG10 damascus knife is the best?
- Are there no better knives than vg-10?
- Check the recommended vg10 damascus knives
The Vg-10 steel core is sandwiched between Damascus steel on both sides.
- VG10 Steel cutting edge is hard(HRC : 61) and very sharp. Vg-10 is the
name of the steel made by Takefu Special Steel Corporation located in Fukui
Japan. It is one of the best quality japanese stainless steel for kitchen
- Damascus blade is made by overlaying different steel layers. has the property of being hardly bends and hard to break.
Also you can buy vg-10 raw materials like this. 5cm x 25cm US$30.00.(Now we don't sell it.)
Name of steel
|VG-10 steel||0.95-1.05% of carbon, 15% of chromium, 0.2% of vanadium|
|VG-1 steel||0.95-1.05% of carbon, 14% of chromium, 0.2% of vanadium|
|VG-5 steel||0.8% of carbon, 14% of chromium, 0.2% of vanadium|
|Shirogimi carbon steel||1.0-1.2% of carbon, 0% of chromium|
|Aogami super carbon steel||1.2-1.4% of carbon, 4% of chromium|
|Molybdenum steel||0.8% of carbon, 13% of chromium, 0.2% of vanadium|
Before, have been said as the following... If you want a very sharp knife, choose a carbon steel knife. (like Aogami steel or Shirogami steel) but easy to oxidize, so necessary to be careful. If you want an oxidation resistant kitchen knife, choose stainless steel kitchen knife. But not very sharp like carbon steel knives.
However, vg-10 is an ideal blade steel that combines the advantages of both carbon steel and stainless steel. It is very sharp like carbon steel and has strong rust resistant. (Hardness HRC 61, chromium 15%)
VG-10 is high carbon steel and also has strong rust resistant. Carbon is related to hardness, and chromium is related to rust resistant.
Learn more about Japanese steel
- Heat treatment(hardening and tempering) can be easily. So finished in a hard and sticky(flexibility) blade. The most important
thing is the balance of hard and sticky(flexibility). If it lacks sticky(flexibility)
, hard blade breaks easily.
- Like a Japanese sword, blade has the property of being hardly bends , hard to break.
- Various patterns are born by the way of overlapping of multiple steels. Damascus blade is always beatiful as an art.
(VG-10 damascus steel blade kitchen knife)
(VG-10 damascus steel knives video)
Finally, we think vg-10 damascus is the best stainless steel for kitchen knives.
Check the recommended vg10 damascus knives